Thursday, January 2, 2014

Christmas baking!

This year, I also went for baked goods for Christmas presents. I made a rough list of the number of people I was baking for (47!), then got to work! I procrastinated a bit, and started baking on December 23rd.

First up, I made 2 batches of Spéculoos cookies. Some are flower-shaped, but most are star-shaped, because I felt they fit the purpose better.


I followed up with a Cheesecake Crumble to bring to the family party:



I also had some leftover lemon-flavored mini cheesecakes, so I topped them with some forest fruit jam, and sent them along for the other side of the family's party.


The next day (24th), I rushed to try to make chocolate bark. I wanted to make peppermint bark, but the general stores around here don't carry peppermint candy canes, and the one store that I found that had some had sold out... So I had this vague plan of trying to melt down some other peppermint candy and using that instead, but that plan went literally down the drain as it failed beyond saving.

I settled for crushed pistachios (they're colorful... and go well with chocolate). Being my first time making this kind of stuff, I made the chocolate layers way too thick. Oh wells.


Quick snapshots of the cookies and chocolate in a pretty arrangement.


I cut each of the pieces in the picture into 2-3 pieces to make them more enjoyable to eat, and settled to package them with the spéculoos cookies.


SPECULOOS RECIPE
  Ingredients
  • 250 g (2 cups) flour
  • 100 g (7 tbs) butter or margarine (margarine makes it vegan but softer)
  • 150 g (12-13 tbs) brown sugar
  • 2 g (1/2 tsp) baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
  • 4-5 tbs cold water
  Procedure
  1. Take butter out ahead of time to let it soften.
  2. Preheat oven at 180°C (350°F).
  3. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl
  4. Cut in softened butter and rub into the flour into a sandy mix.
  5. Add water progressively until it comes together into a smooth dough.
  6. Roll out and cut into desired shapes.
  7. Bake for 15 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment