Sunday, September 13, 2015

Carrot Cake


Phew, finally caught up on the backlog! Here is what I baked yesterday: Carrot cake!

The main reason for this was because I had carrots laying around. The other reasons include, but are not limited to: I needed to de-stress, I have never made this before, and "why not?"


The process to make the batter reminded me a lot of banana bread, except that I had grate the carrots instead of simply mashing my bananas. The ingredients used are similar, although I haven't really gone to see if the proportions are the same. Probably not, since bananas have a higher water content than do carrots.


I adapted a recipe from Spice Up The Curry, although I changed some things according to personal preferences, such as cutting down the sugar and changing some sugar types. I made 2 small, pretty tall cakes instead of a larger, flatter one, though to be honest, I did not think it would rise that much even with the amount of leavening agents involved.


The cake was frosted with an improvised cream cheese frosting, namely cream cheese, powdered sugar, and lime. The amounts? I kind of ad-libbed. I put some cream cheese in. Then I squeezed a small section of a lime in, tasted it... "Not sour enough." After a couple more times, it had enough of the citrus zing to it to match my imagined taste, but then I only had a small piece of lime left. "Oh well" preceded my squeezing of the rest of it in. Then I added a little bit more cream cheese because it had gotten pretty watery by then. Powdered/icing sugar was added to round off the sourness, then the whole bowl took an overnight nap in the fridge just because we were too full to eat last night, and I was not going to frost it ahead of time.


For extra texture, I put some crushed walnuts over the top, and gave it all a bit of color with a dusting of cinnamon. This cake was nice and moist, which was very pleasant to eat.


CARROT CAKE RECIPE
  Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 pinches salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tbs neutral oil
  • 1/4 cup golden sugar
  • 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup soymilk
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 cup grated carrots
  Procedure
  1. Preheat oven 180°C.
  2. In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Whisk well.
  3. In a mixing bowl, whisk sugars and oil. Add in soymilk and water and whisk well.
  4. Add in the flour mix in 2 times, mixing well each time.
  5. Fold in the carrots.
  6. Pour into a prepared pan, and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment