Sunday, September 13, 2015

Nectarine Jam


July 6th, 2015

Yup, I'm still catching up on backlog (which keeps building but I am really getting overwhelmed with school work here).

My uncle had bought a looooot of nectarines. There was no way we were going to eat them all, especially with the heat over there in China. They wouldn't even fit into the fridge. So I suggested we make jam out of at least part of it, so as to make it easier to preserve.

This was quite easy. The recipes I've looked at usually used half the fruit's volume of sugar, and add in a lemon's juice. That turned out really sweet, so I suggest either cutting down the sugar (but sugar helps in the preservation of your jam), or just add more lemon juice. When cutting the nectarines, keep the skin on: the natural pectin in the fruit skin will help thicken the jam without needing additional pectin.

Enjoy on bread or in desserts!

No comments:

Post a Comment