Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies

 

With all the academic deadlines flying around at this time of the semester, I needed to get rid of some stress. I had pulled an all-nighter the night before, and was trying to stay awake long enough to go to bed at a reasonably normal time.

I gave in to the temptation that had been gnawing at me for the past few days, but that I had to push away due to the aforementioned deadlines: BAKING.


Trying to think of what I wanted to make, I remembered the last of the dried cranberries sitting in one of the kitchen drawers. I used some for other cookies I will post in a few days, that I plan to give to a friend for her birthday. Then my cousin L (who is also my roommate) complained that I hadn't made normal cookies in a while for her to eat. I think she actually had chocolate chip in mind, but my stash of chocolate chips is long gone. I hit up Google, and came up with these cranberry oatmeal cookies.


The recipe is from Eggless Cooking, and makes more than the pictured 20 as plenty disappeared into L's stomach as I baked tiny batch after tiny batch of 6-7 in our tiny oven. The pack of cranberries had somehow ripped at some point, and wasn't closed properly, so the cranberries were dried up. I attempted to slightly rehydrate them in hot water before using them. I also subbed walnuts for the pecans.

RECIPE
  Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup (70 g) butter, softened; margarine makes this vegan
  • 1/4 cup cane sugar
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • vanilla or 1 packet vanilla sugar
  • 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 pinch nutmeg
  • 3 cups quick cooking oats
  • 1 cup cranberries
  • 1 cup walnuts (optional)
  Procedure
  1. Preheat oven at 180°C.
  2. Cream sugars and butter until well combined.
  3. Add in milk, and mix.
  4. In a bowl, mix spices, flour, and baking soda. Add to the butter mix.
  5. Fold in oats, cranberries, and pecans.
  6. Spoon tablespoons of mix onto a lined baking tray. Flatten with a fork.
  7. Bake for 12-15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment